Here’s a flavorful, protein-packed lunch that is very satisfying. Freekeh is a supergrain made from green durum wheat. Turmeric is good at moving stagnation in the blood and reducing pathogenic bacteria. Serve with the dressing of your choice! This recipe serves two. Preparation time is 30 minutes.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2″ (5-cm) pieces
- 8 baby red potatoes, washed and sliced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3 oz seasoned and cooked tempeh, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 cup cooked freekeh
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- Turmeric dressing or green tahini dressing, as desired (see below)
For the Turmeric Dressing
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Green Tahini Dressing
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- .Arrange the broccoli, asparagus, potatoes, carrots and tempeh on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle evenly with the oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast for18 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown.
- To serve, place the freekeh and spinach evenly into two shallow bowls.
- Divide the veggies and tempeh between the bowls.
- Add the purple cabbage and avocado. Spoon on the dressing and serve immediately.
For the Turmeric Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, tahini, lemon juice, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
For the Green Tahini:
- In a food processor or blender, process the lemon juice, garlic, tahini, parsley and olive oil.
- Add up to 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of water to achieve a thinner consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week