The following suggestions are courtesy of Harvard Medical School.
Eight ways to get started with a plant-based diet
- Eat lots of vegetables: fill half of your plate with vegetables at lunch and dinner. Make sure you include plenty of colors in choosing your vegetables. Enjoy vegetables as a snack with hummus, salsa or guacamole.
- Change the way you think about meat: have smaller amounts and use it as a garnish instead of the main part of the meal.
- Choose good fats: fats in olive oil, olives, nuts and nut butters, seeds, and avocados are particularly healthy choices.
- Cook a plant-based meal at least once per week: make your plant-base meals around beans and whole grains and vegetables.
- Include whole grains for breakfast: start each morning with oatmeal, quinoa, or barley and add nuts or seeds with some fruit
- Go for greens: eat a variety of green leafy vegetables such as kale, collards, spinach and others each day. Steam, grill, or stir-fry to preserve their flavor and nutrients.
- Build a meal around a salad: fill a bowl with salad greens such as romaine, spinach, or red leafy greens. Add variety of other vegetables with fresh herbs, beans, peas or tempeh or tofu.
- Eat fruit for dessert: have a peach, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, apple slices or combine them for a sweet after dinner dessert.